Information for Haileybury Pupils
There are two main ways to get involved with Model United Nations during your time at Haileybury - attending weekly sessions, and participating in conferences.
We offer a variety of difference sessions during the week, for those at difference stages within the school, and with different amounts of experience in MUN.
All the sessions are run by sixth form pupils, aided by members of staff.
Sessions feature a variety of different activities, including speaking games, practice debates, training in various areas of speech-making and resolution-writing, and a chance to research and prepare for upcoming conferences.
The current plan for the 2017-2018 academic year includes sessions for sixth form on Wednesday afternoons (as part of the Wednesday afternoon activity programme), all main school years between 5:30 and 6:30pm on Fridays, and lower school at 4:30pm on Tuesdays.
The Haileybury Conference
There are many ways to get involved with the Haileybury conference, HMUN, which will take place the weekend before the Easter holidays.
Not all of the roles have anything to do with debating, and many require no prior experience of MUN!
- being a delegate, representing a country in a particular committee
- taking part in the JCC, representing an individual in a fast-moving historical crisis
- Chairing a committee
- helping with administration in the weeks and months leading up to the conference
- providing technical support
- being part of the press team, producing the conference newspaper and a film for the closing ceremony
- helping out in committees by passing notes and counting votes as part of the security team
- running the conference as one of the Secretaries-General or their deputies
As well as the Haileybury conference, we attend a number of other conferences. The current plan for the 2017-18 academic year includes:
- CUSMUN (Cambridge University Schools' MUN), in Cambridge between Friday 15 and Sunday 17 September (for Upper Sixth)
- ReiMUN (Reigate Grammar School MUN), in Surrey on Saturday 23 September (for LS2 upwards, particularly those who have done one or two conferences before)
- MUNISH (MUN of the International School of the Hague), in the Netherlands between Friday 3 and Sunday 5 November (for Removes - Lower Sixth)
- BMUN (Benenden School MUN), in Kent on Monday 11 December (for those new to MUN)
- THIMUN (The Hague Interantional MUN), in the Netherlands between Sunday 28 January and Friday 2 February (for experienced Sixth form - this is the premier conference in Europe)
- JWSMUN (Jogn Warner School MUN), in Hoddesdon, expected to be one Saturday in early February (mainly for LS1 - Middles; older pupils can apply to Chair)